Naval General Service 1793-1840, 2 clasps, Copenhagen 1801, Centaur 26 Augt. 1808 (Richard M. Teed, Volr.) First-Class Volunteer aboard the Defiance


Naval General Service 1793-1840, 2 clasps, Copenhagen 1801, Centaur 26 Augt. 1808 (Richard M. Teed, Volr.) plugged at six o’clock, with ‘H’ of ‘Richard’ neatly re-engraved, suspension claw neatly re-affixed and carriage re-constituted, otherwise good very fine


Provenance: Debenham, April 1898; Spink, June 1989 (when it was offered with a single clasp for Copenhagen); Dix Noonan Webb, December 2007.

On 26 August 1808 Centaur, in conjunction with the Implacable, captured the Russian 74-gun ship Sewolod in sight of the whole Russian fleet near Rogerswick. During a spirited attempt by the Russians to retake and row the Sewolod back into port, Sir S. Hood laid her on board and lashed her bowspit to the mizzen rigging of the Centaur under a heavy fire of musketry. The bow of the enemy grazed the muzzles of Centaur's guns, which at the same moment were discharged, and the raking broadside tore her to pieces. The Russians made several attempts to board, but were repelled by the fire of the marines and the stern chase guns of the Centaur, and after a hot action of half an hour the Sewolod again struck her colours. In this furious conflict the Centaur lost 3 killed and 27 wounded, and the enemy 180 killed and wounded. None of Centaur’s wounded lived to claim a medal for this action, of which approximately 42 clasps were issued.

Richard Manston Teed was born in 1778 and entered the Navy in March 1801 as First-Class Volunteer aboard the Defiance, in which ship he was present at Copenhagen, 1801. He served in the boats of Penelope at the rescue of the crew of Atalanta, ashore on the French coast under batteries; at the destruction of a convoy near Cape Prior, 1807; and in Centaur, 1808-09, in the Baltic. He was Lieutenant commanding Swinger on the coast of Africa during the Ashantee war, and commanded a division of seamen and marines at the defence of Cape Coast Castle, for which services he was named in the gazetted despatches in 1824. He became a Retired Commander in 1848 and was placed on the out-pension list of Greenwich Hospital in September 1858. He died in 1870.

Out of stock