A 1st Connecticut Governor’s Foot Guard Shako Plate. Painted transfer design on tin and measuring 7″ wide by 6″ high. Curved design with 15 holes to outer perimeter. With motto “Qui Tran Stulit Sustinet” which translates to “He who transplanted sustains.” This piece has been in our collection for years and is a suspected Centennial tribute.
The 1st Connecticut Regiment (1775) was raised on 27 April 1775 at Norwich, Connecticut in the Connecticut State Troops. The regiment consisted of ten companies of volunteers from New Haven and Litchfield counties of the state of Connecticut.
It was adopted into the Main Continental Army on 14 June 1775 and then was assigned 24 June 1775 to the New York (Northern) Department. Two companies (Captain Bradford Steel’s and Captain Caleb Trowbridge’s) were detached 13 July 1775 and reassigned to the Main Continental Army and participated in the siege of Boston. The two companies were disbanded on 20 December 1775 at Cambridge, Massachusetts. The regiment was reassigned to the Canadian Department and was disbanded between 1 December 1775 and 15 April 1776 in Canada. The regiment would see action in the Invasion of Canada and the Battle of Trois-Rivières